We wanted to go over some of our top home painting tips for beginners. Although it may seem like an intimidating task when you’ve never painted your entire house on your own. Hopefully, you have an assistant, spouse, or significant other to help out. Setting up a new initiative to paint the interior of your house is the easiest way to add an aesthetically pleasing and fresh look to your lovely home. It may sound like fun but a full home painting project can quickly turn into a nightmare if you’re not efficiently working. The team at NOVA Painting Pros created a list of tips to assist you with your upcoming DIY project, so feel free to follow our tips below and you’ll ultimately have gorgeous looking walls which will prevent roadblocks you may come across.
Various sized paintbrushes
Stepladder (make sure it’s in good condition and stable)
Music (preferably something that’ll put you in the mood to dance, so your painting project seems like a fun task)
By completely preparing the room before you begin, you can ensure your home painting project will turn into a successful project. Below we will cover some of our home painting tips for beginners:
- So first and most importantly, you must remove all of the furniture from the room. If you can’t move some of the furniture, move it to the center of the room and thoroughly cover them with plastic bags, to ensure you don’t get paint on the furniture. Prepping the room is the most important step, don’t be tempted to start painting without effectively prepping the room. Note, step 1 and 2 are extremely important, so do not skip them!
- Fully mask and protect all surfaces next to the walls you’re painting with high-quality painter’s tape which can be found at home depot. This includes your home’s ceiling, windows, door frames, baseboards and any other trim nearby.
- Carefully fill any wall blemishes, nail holes, or dents in the wall with a quality spackling compound, but most importantly, once you’ve applied the compound, please make sure you smooth it out with a putty knife to ensure the wall looks consistent. Once you’ve thoroughly checked all areas, you’ll need to let the compound material completely dry, then start smoothing out the areas with fine grit sandpaper. Finally, you’ll want to wipe the areas with a slightly damp microfiber cloth to remove dust particles which will help ensure the final outcome is a success.
- Start out by opening up the can of paint and gently pouring some into your paint tray. Dip a medium-sized paintbrush inside the paint tray until the bottom half section of the bristles is coated in paint. You must allow the excess paint to drip back into your paint tray before you start brushing the walls with paint. You’ll need to start at the top of your wall and paint a 2-3 inch strip next to the painter’s tape. You will need to repeat this process in all the corners and next to all of the trim.
- Firmly grip your roller and start gliding the roller in the paint tray so you can add a coat of paint to the surface of your roller, but most importantly, you’ll want to evenly distribute the paint on the roller to ensure excess paint is thoroughly removed. Ultimately, the roller should be fully soaked with paint, but not to the point that it’s dripping, this is very important to ensure the paint is consistent on your walls.
- Once you’ve completed an initial coat of paint, you will need to give the paint an opportunity to dry. Once you’ve taken a quick break, start by applying a second coat of paint, as needed.
- At this point you’re most likely exhausted, so hang tight as there are a few more steps remaining before you can officially clock out. You can finally remove the painter’s tape you initially applied and look at the final product! You will also want to clean your painting supplies so it’s on standby for your next project :).
Important painting tip for beginners: Please make sure you purchase enough paint to cover all of the walls. If you are not sure how much paint is required, measure and record the room’s measurements. If you’re not comfortable calculating the amount of paint needed (which is understandable), a paint store consultant will be able to assist with confirming the calculations and your overall needs.
We wish you the best of luck on your upcoming project and hope our home painting tips for beginners is a useful resource!